Hair loss?? Get it diagnosed before it takes you to the condition where hair transplant is the only option left. A lot of people dealing with hair loss want to know whether Rogaine works for hair or not?
What is Rogaine?
It is the name of the drug Minoxidil. Though it was never intended to deal with hair loss instead, it is meant to treat the blood pressure issues in people. During clinical trials to test its effectiveness, it was proven that people dealing with hair loss issues were able to regrow their hair, and then this new hair loss remedy came into existence.
How Does Rogaine Work?
The active ingredient called Minoxidil works to reform the shrunken hair follicles. It accelerates the flow of blood to the hair follicles and hence increases the size of the follicles. It promotes hair growth and hair become longer and stronger over time with its use. It works for hereditary hair loss also by plumping the hair follicles allowing the hair to grow thicker than ever before. Though it doesn’t work for all and the results following the use of Rogaine are different.
Rogaine and Results
In the starting phase, the product may not be able to make visible results because the early results and the changes are usually soft and colorless sometimes. No matter the results are visible or not, it is vital to keep it using consistently. The clinical studies show that it delivers the best results at the crown and top of the head and is less likely to work in the front areas. Rogaine is the most efficient way to get back your hair growth on track. The other options include topical treatments, oral medication and surgical options such as hair transplant where the hair transplant in chennai is considered to be the best.
Does Rogaine perform for All Types of Hair Loss?
Minoxidil is prescribed for women with hereditary hair loss which causes the hair follicles to shrink over time leading to thinning on the top of the scalp. But it is NOT intended for hair loss caused due to-
- Thyroid problems
- Scalp problems
- Lupus etc.
What Results Can You Expect?
- The very first thing as mentioned by the manufacturer is that Rogaine will not work for all nor will anyone grow back all their hair. The Minoxidil prompts the beginning of a new growth cycle, and the ‘old’ hairs that would have been lost anyway will shed to make way for the NEW hair growth.
- The next step should be the appearance of fine new hairs within the three-months, but for some people, it can take up to 6 months also. The new hair will be thicker and healthy somewhat.
- The daunting or troublesome part is that once you have started to experience regrowth, then you need to keep using the Rogaine for the rest of your life because Rogaine is not a permanent solution and works only as long as it continues to be used.
What side effects could you experience?
There are other possible side effects of Rogaine to be aware of-
- Slight change in the texture or color of the hair
- The initial increase in hair shedding.
- Dizziness, lightheadedness Weight gain
- Swelling of the stomach, face, hands, etc.
Any alarming increase in any of these should be discussed with the doctor.
Who SHOULDN’T use Rogaine?
- In case, you have hair thinning issues due to some other reason than hereditary hair loss.
- In case, you are using any other topical medication on your scalp.
- In case you are pregnant or about to conceive,
- In case, you have any heart, liver or kidney problems.
- In case, you have sunburn or broken skin on your scalp.
Before and after tips-
- Always Test a small area of your scalp before using Rogaine all over to check if you are allergic to the product or not.
- There is no need to panic if you shed more hair initially. But if it continues past two weeks, then you must discuss with the doctor.
- Avoid transporting the treatment with your hands to other parts of the body.
- Always Use it 2 to 4 hours before going to bed.
- In case if you miss a dose, don’t try to catch up by using extra Rogaine to see results more quickly.
- You can still blow dry your hair and use styling products on your hair as usual.
It is a good idea to consult with the experts like Natural Hair Transplant for making sure whether Rogaine might work for you or not.